Thursday, April 21, 2016

New Way To Worship?



There is this idea in my head that keeps rolling around. I haven’t shared it really with anyone but Nick, my husband. It started quite a while back when I was thinking about how my church could do a better job of getting people into worship. We have a huge contingent of folks who are connected to our church through KICK and our Food Pantry, but just a few of those folks ever darken our doors on Sunday morning. I really think worshiping with others is an important practice that everyone connected to the church should practice. So how do you help people worship who for whatever reason don’t show up on Sunday mornings? Also research is really clear more people who have not worshiped before come to a new service rather than one that had been there for a long time.

Here is an example of what a topic might be.   

So I have been playing with this idea of having a new worship service on Wednesday night. A worship service re-imagined, unlike the one we have on Sunday. It would start at 5:30 after KICK kids have been picked up, so KICK families were already there and could stick around for it. We would start with a really simple meal (think tacos, sloppy joes, potato bar, etc.). On the tables would be a list of questions about the topic we were going to learn about that night. There would be paper and crayons for kids to use while we watched a TED presentation. Then after the presentation, the kids would share their art, and the adults would share their thoughts on the subject. We could share songs about the topic at this time too. My goal would be for us to end by 7, so families could get home, get homework done, and still get to bed at a decent time.

I think it would be awesome. But here’s the thing…I am not always the best judge of my own ideas. I couldn’t do this on my own. I would want at least 5 core households to commit on being there consistently to make it worth it. AND I don’t want those coming to be the same people who show up to Sunday morning worship. Those leaders are busy enough, and if it’s going to be a new thing, I would want new leaders. (Of course, some overlap would be good.) Worship services usually have some music and an offering. I don’t have a plan for those elements, but I think it would be good to include them somewhere.

So I am going to leave this idea here. And I am going to patiently wait for God to give me an interested team. I invite you to share with someone you think would be interested. I invite you to talk with me if you are interested. If nobody talks to me, than I know this was of me and not God.

No comments:

Post a Comment