Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Snow Day



For the last few weeks, I have been trying to find a gem to write about. What should I write about?

  • Our Christmas Eve Service with a music team made of members of both churches in town? Or how we almost didn’t have enough communion because of a surprisingly large crowd?
  • Our Christmas morning traditions?
  • Our family Christmas with my side of the family on Christmas Day?
  • Our trip to see Nick’s family in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.? Visiting the National Cathedral? The “Toast Party” on New Year’s Eve?
  • My New Year’s resolutions?
  • Our first Sunday of our Frozen Sermon Series?

So many things!

But I think instead of all that, I will talk about snow. It’s a snow day at our house, which makes it the first day since before Christmas without an agenda. No plans, car rides, or extended family visits. No getting ready for worship, appointments, or managing crises. This is why I love snow days. Don’t get me wrong, by the end of winter I will hate snow as much as everyone else. But for now, I am enjoying being stuck.
Each winter, God reminds me on these days, that life goes on even when I can’t. He reminds me to slow down and spend time with my kids. He reminds me that I don’t control everything. Those are the things I need reminded most after advent and Christmas, when I am busy trying not to forget anyone or anything. So, today, I am wishing you rest. From that rest, may you get a fresh perspective on life.  
May it bring you hope, peace, joy, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment