Monday, May 2, 2016

An Open Letter to One of My Besties



To my sister from another mister, 

It is so hard to invite you into the church. “Church” after all has a reputation. If I push to hard, I am afraid you will be offended. But, I can’t help but want you in church with me, because I love you like a sister.
Not because I am a pastor.  As a follower of Jesus, the church has been where God has over and over again answered my prayers. As a young mother, it was where God answered my plea for  “adult time.” It was the place I could talk about being a mom and in the next breath talk about everything but being a mom. It was the place that showed me extraordinary grace when my kids got rowdy, and provided space for them to play and me to nurse. Of all the public places, it was the best for our little family.

And that’s why I want to share it with you and your young kids. You recently reminded me as I invited you once again, “My husband and I are not church people.” I didn’t articulate well what was in my heart. What I wanted to say was, “I know you don’t go, and I know you are missing out.” See, I worry that you feel like you have to believe things common in the culture of church rather than what you do, which often sounds more like Jesus himself. Church for me has been a place of compassion and honesty. I know that is not its reputation, but that is what I want to share with you.

I invited you to a special event we had at the church. It was awesome. We had a pew full of kids, and I missed the entire program. But another mom with daughter close in age joined us in our madness.  And it was awesome. It was great to chase kids together, to play together, and to just sit together in this space. It was fun to introduce some of my daughter’s favorite people in the world…and in the church…with you. 

Thank you for making my day!

I know you are leery of someone trying to “save” you. Don’t worry. That is between you and God. Besides, I am convinced that Jesus is just as concerned with living a good life now as he is after death.  I also don’t think he is much impressed with tickets to heaven and special prayers. I think he cares more about if you are willing to forgive others…which I know you do. I have heard your story. I’m not going to force any of my beliefs down your throat, though I may share them with you as my beliefs. And I’m kind of a nerd, so I may go into a lesson of what Christians in the last 2,000 years have thought. But that’s it.

Thank you for being my friend and letting me share my whole life with you…even if a lot of it takes place in the church. Thank you for coming. One day I hope you can see what I do in these people that meet every week. I may keep asking. Just be patient with me.

With all my love,
That Mom Down the Street

No comments:

Post a Comment