Sunday, May 10, 2015

My Dog Hates Mother's Day



Henrietta isn’t quite herself today. She usually keeps up with our two boy dogs easily, but today she hung her head a little lower during the morning ritual. I think it might be because today is Mother’s Day.

See, Henrietta never knew her mother.  She was taken away when she was just a pup. She swore that she would do better when it was her turn. But, she was so young when the pups came. And then the storm came, and she got lost, unable to find her way back home. Her pups didn’t even have her until they were completely weaned. And now, she couldn’t have more pups even if she wanted to.  It’s a lot be reminded of on a rainy Mother’s Day.

That’s why I snuggled up with her this afternoon. I thanked her for cuddling with my kids when they are sick, with protecting them with vigilance when strangers come around, and playing with them in the sprinklers every summer. I thanked her for those times when I feel like a disappointment to my kids, and how she wags her tail and reminds me that I’m doing okay. I reminded her that her past life is in the past, and she has been found.  That each day, she can do something small for her new family. She sat with me as the rain came down, and she knew she would be safe.

And I gave her some cheese. And wished her a Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment